One of the most expensive repair bills homeowners get is the mess caused by frozen burst pipes. Burst plumbing causes a lot of damage before it gets noticed. If you are lucky you will spot it right away and only be faced with mopping the basement and drying the carpet and walls. If it goes unnoticed for days or weeks it can cause a mold problem, ruined drywall, and swollen framework behind the walls just to mention a few of the troubles. One of the best things you can do is make sure the insulation is done properly everywhere.
If you’re thinking about saving money on your heat bill this winter, here’s a 5-step Energy Audit:
1. Take a walk around the outside of your house and check for cracks around windows and doors where cold air can come in. Also examine brick work, stucco, siding and the foundation for any gaps. And be sure to check around gas and electric lines and plumbing, too.
2. Your next step is to get to the hardware store to purchase weather stripping, caulk and foam. The money you save on energy will be well worth the small price you pay for these materials. Then take your check list and plug those cracks and install the weather stripping. It shouldn’t take more than a couple hours depending on the amount of cracks and the size of your home.
3. Do a similar inside audit, check for air infiltration around windows, doors and switch plates on outside walls. To find air leaks use a piece of tissue on a tooth pick or an incense stick. Air coming in will make the tissue flag wave or disperse the incense smoke. Temporary caulking can be used around windows and then removed in the spring. Foam inserts behind switch plates will eliminate that infiltration problem (be sure power to switch plates is turned off when adding insulation).
4. Take your Energy Audit into the basement, attic or crawl space. Since insulation gets compacted over the years, add insulation to keep the heat from escaping. Check vents and duct work for leaks or separation.
5. Turn off the water supply to outside faucets, and even cover them with insulating material. Water damage caused by burst pipe can result in untimely, expensive repairs.
Tips About Frozen Pipes
If you need a 24 hour emergency plumbing service company call the number below.
Vancouver, BC V5T 3K4